Saturday, December 15, 2012

I’m Learning… Slowly.


I’m Learning… Slowly.

I’m learning slowly about riding the Quest in winter. Monday morning started out with a -29C temperature. I got up extra early for this first ride. I packed my lunch, extra jacket, extra clothes and extra heavy mitts. I dressed like I would to ride my regular recumbent. BIG MISTAKE! I was too warm! Now being too warm is a good thing to complain about. I had to stop and remove my jacket and take off the mitts. On the way home I dressed lighter. It took me longer to go home as I got stopped several times by people wanting to take my picture and asking me what type of motor was in my Quest. The only problem I had was my Garmin 500 would not work. It kept searching for satellites. The second day I solved that problem by putting it outside the body of the Quest until it found the Satellites and then putting it  inside. I was surprised by how fast I was really going with the winter tire on. I also found out the average temperature was -5C inside the Quest even though it was -21C outside that morning. Lots more things to learn about riding the Quest.
          I had to take Wednesday and Thursday as snow days (no riding) .The snow was coming in the foot holes it was so deep. Friday gave us more snow. Today the roads and bikeways still were not clear enough to ride, but they finally had the salt trucks and plows out. The temperature is up to -7C today. No riding until Monday morning now.
         I did manage to modify the snowmobile cover into a Quest cover. I even have a strap under the middle of the Quest to prevent a wind from blowing it off.  I left some room in the top so I can add a race cap to the Quest. After Christmas I will have to order one. I guess winter would be the best time to have one...

No comments:

Post a Comment