Sunday, May 5, 2013

My Best 200km Brevet.

Where does it go?
My Best 200km Brevet.
Today was our first Brevet of 2013. We start a lot later than most places do because of our climate. This year we had fewer riders because nobody has had much riding time yet. There was also a road race happening today too. Today was my longest ride to date in the Quest. I had every thing I needed in the Quest. Tire pump, tools, spare tires and tubes, rain gear in it's own bag, food, lots of fluids, cameras and even a cell phone. The Quest was checked out and the tires pumped. I was ready.
           The start for this southern 200 was only a block away from home so no real warm up before the start. At the start it was -1C but it sunny and the high temperature was 14C for the day.  We started as a group and stayed together for the first 50 km where half of the group stopped for breakfast and then headed back. They decided they were not ready for the full 200km. From there on I rode with another recumbent guy who was riding a Challenger low racer.

My riding partner, riding his Dutch Bike.
 Dean who was riding with me most of the way is a veteran Randonneur. He rides fast and steady. This time we were so fast we got to the lunch stop and it wasn't open yet. We had to wait until the next control to get some hot food.
Too early for lunch!


The last 60 km I rode ahead at my regular pace and was the first to finish with 6 hours, 38minutes and 22 seconds of riding. For me it was over two hours better than my best time to date. When I got home I didn't even need a nap.  I really wish I had bought this Velomobile years ago. I had perfect weather conditions with almost no wind. I am really looking forward to next weeks Brevet. Our 200 km North Loop.
           The top picture was shot at our 3rd control and it was one of those pictures I just had to take. You will notice there is no snow in any of my pictures for a change. Yes spring is here.  I also shot some video but I will have to edit it after the weekend. I may post as a separate blog if it turned out. It is a new camera and I had it mounted inside "Da Hood" The battery died before I got home so I have to remember to just turn it on and off as needed.

So until next week, Greetings from Canada...

9 comments:

  1. Hi Kevin,

    Way to go! Congratualations with your first brevet in a new record time! Several times this winter I also thougt the same as you: I should had bought a velomobile 10 years ago........

    Greetings from a rainy Norway,
    Adri.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoi Kevin
    Komt er bij jullie water uit de benzinepomp? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andre,
      We stopped there for a control and some soup. But I had to take a picture. He could not find the the filler cap. :)

      Delete
  3. congratulations with spring and with your fast ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, congratulations! You got it all on the same day - Spring, the first brevet, and a super-fast time. Sounds like a fantastic day. Very good luck to you on your next 200!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for the congratulations. It was a FUN day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ken
    Looks like you had a great ride!
    This coming Friday i am meeting up with Cornell for an afternoons ride in Red Deer! He was saying he is getting several freinds and relative into recumbnets ( well mostly his handme downs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Larry,
      Have fun. I have got anyone to ride with but I am having fun anyway. Brevet number two is Saturday.
      Report and video to follow if the camera works.
      Kevin

      Delete
  7. Unlike an straight exercise bike, where your center of gravity is above your legs making pressure downwards on them, a recumbent stationary cycle places your center of gravity behind your hip and legs. This means you can obtain a rigorous cardiovascular work out with little to know strain on your joints, your ankles or your knees. Best Recumbent Stationary Bike

    ReplyDelete