Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Coldest Week of the Year (So Far.)

The Coldest Week of the Year (So Far.)
The week started off really cold. As far as records go this week of January is always the coldest week of the year on average. This is how my morning ride started. I dressed for it and used goggles instead of my glasses and I was warm. Half way to work I switched from summer gloves to mitts. The return trip was a "warm" -24 when I rode home. I got a call from a friend who told me my picture of my Quest was used on the national Weather Network that afternoon. That was the picture I used in last weeks blog. So I sat down and watched weather for an hour because they always repeat for a couple of hours and got to see my Quest on TV. The weather reporter thought it was a good picture to show the cold weather we have been having, It shows a snow drift in the background, and the blowing snow. My caption used was "Lots of room at the bike rack." She thought that was funny.
Tuesday's Temperature was better :)
       
  The rest of the week stayed cold until Thursday when it started to warm up and snow. The forecast was for 5 to 10 cm. of snow so I took the truck Thursday. Even if had not snowed I would not have rode as the icy roads were getting very rough. The best way to describe the roads would be to compare it to cobblestones on a road that had every 5th one missing. I hope with the warmer weather they will get the roads cleaner so I can ride again next week.
Our bad roads just before the snow came again.





Leaving for work in the Morning



The picture on the left shows how traffic has worn the ice down to the pavement except in the curb lane where I have to ride. Very rough!!!The ice berms that are left are very hard and make for a difficult ride when you have three wheels. I took the picture from inside my work van.


 

As seen on the Weather Network





 I got an email from Sinner Bikes that my Tour Cap has been shipped. With this cold weather I could really use it.This winter will be a good test for it. I can't hardly wait until it gets here.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kevin,
    We are lucky having not the same conditions as you have to deal with!
    Good luck with the rest of the winter!

    Regards, Adri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adri,
      I hope most people reading our weather feel better about their own conditions. As I write this it's warmed up to -12 C. And it's starting to snow more. We have too much snow this year.I hope your weather is much better.
      Regards, Kevin

      Delete
    2. Hi Kevin,

      Tempratures are higher here now, first there came 5 cm with snow, now it's about +5 degrees C, and lots of rain is coming down. The snow disappears quickly now, and road conditions are better. Of course I use the VM with the hood now, it's nice and dry inside.

      Regards, Adri.

      Delete
    3. Hi Adri.

      "Da Hood" arrived today. It looks and fits great. I will get to test it tomorrow.

      Kevin

      Delete
  2. HI Kevin,
    I just discovered your blog and you're COOOL with a velomobile at -31oC! Enjoy your hoodie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magic Bullet
      I am warmer now that I have Da Hood. But the velomobile is the best way to ride in the winter as you know.

      Kevin.

      Delete