Friday, November 22, 2013

Snow, Snow Tires,and Winter shoes


This week the snow came to stay.  Monday was the start of my winter cycling. I say it was the start because it was the first day commuting on the studded snow tires. With the heavy tires I am slower and working harder. I also find the noise from the tires is very high now.  The good side is I am getting more exercise and the legs should get stronger.
            After reading about Adri's Crash , it reminded me of my crash last winter. I was lucky as the snow bank was softer than what Adri encountered..   Slow DOWN!          Never to repeat that, I am trying to drive slower.
            
 Even though Adri and I have an ocean between us, unknowing, we have both bought new winter cycling shoes to test this winter.. The shoes are Celius Artic GTX and today was the first ride for me with them. It was -14C this morning and I found the shoes warm with just one pair of this wool socks. I will have to adjust the bottom bracket as the shoes are thicker than my summer shoes. I also found the adjustment cord too long and it has to be tucked under the Velcro. The important thing is they are warm so far. I will post more on these shoes as the winter goes on. 
For a few months now I have been putting in some long hours at work. The Quest seems to only get ridden in the dark lately. There has not been much time for fun, just work. But now that winter is here the fun should begin. There may even be some racing for the Quest this winter. There will be some dog sled races too. Tonight I will hook up the Huskies and we get a dog sled run in. That’s another way for us to get some more winter FUN…

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kevin,

    I am a bit curious about the tires you use in this cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Casper,
      I am using Schwalbe Marathon winter tires in the front and a Schwalbe Snow Stud on the rear. I am going to have more studs put into the rear tire. I think my legs are in better shape this winter as I can spin the tire easier on the ice. The front tires I run at 70 psi and the rear 30 to 60 depending on the ice.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kevin,

    What a coincidence! As you say, an ocean between us, and using the same shoes!
    It's good to read your experiences with the shoes, if they are warm and comfy in -14C, I have no fears for the coming cold!
    Have fun!
    Greetings, Adri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adri,
      I had to lengthen the bottom bracket 1 cm because the shoes were thicker than my summer shoes. I use a mountain bike shoe in the summer. The rear test will be at -40 on a open trike for any shoe.
      Greetings from Canada
      Kevin

      Delete